FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   Register 
TIB Community Portal
Click here for bulletin board instructions. 
 Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » TIB Priors Updates » ....Does Everybody Hit The Wall???
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm 

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: ....Does Everybody Hit The Wall??? Reply with quote

Henry C. Roberson III-08

Just curious, but I have had an interesting transition back into the regular AF thusfar. There have been a few comments along the lines of how was the vacation and how did they get you to wear sequins, but nothin' serious. Following my 15 days of leave, mostly in Detroit, I slid on back to Hawaii and put all my energy to use. Between work, volunteering, church, and giggin' I have seen neither hide nor hair of "the wall." Could it be that I have found the cure for this concept or am I just postponing the inevitable? BTW this is my first post as a prior, so I'm kinda smilin' and laughin'. I miss my fam...

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian-Martinez-04

Kudos on putting the energy to good use. The workload we maintained on tour really helped me prepare for what I'm going through now. For the last four years, I've been a full-time college student at the University of Louisville, a cadet in Air Force ROTC, a supervisor at UPS and a musician on saturdays. All this while being married and being a father of two. If it wasn't for Tops in Blue, I would never have the strength to do it.

Hello to all my blue brothers and sisters out there!

-Chris Martinez '04

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry C. Roberson III-08

By the overwhelming response, I will say yes, I guess everyone does. Thanks for the response good brother. My wall must be the longing that I have every time I walk past a semi with it's trailer open...no lift gate...no dock (You just gotta be harder than the work you're doin'). Lord knows I miss it.

I'm adding a little more to the plate. Got an audition with the band comin up and advice is welcomed.

Miss yall Fam... and that's from the heart.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Hitting the "wall" is real....but relative! Reply with quote

Gerry-Semola

Hello Blue peeps,

Henry, GOOD QUESTION! I've heard it discussed many times over the years. The old board had many posts re: "The Wall". Here is the way I see it.....(just my humble opinion) If you keep yourself really busy from the moment you get back to your base, and use your spare time wisely, you will not notice the "wall" as much. You will miss your Blue family dearly, and cherish the bonds you made and the memories you have. The way I dealt with the wall was to go back to my base (Eglin) and immediately start putting together the next band for the next talent competition. I made up my mind immediately upon returning that I would tour with TIB again, and that our band would get 1st place at Worldwide the second time around!

Well, I worked really hard the second time around (I was MUCH more focused since TIB staging taught me how to get use to long hours of rehearsals. And so I got BOTH of my wishes! Our band took 1st in our second WW comp. and I was selected again to go out with the overseas cast (THANKS CHIEF AND BERNIE RONE!!!). After returning from my second tour, my squadron was a very different place since many of my friends and peers had transferred etc. But It was an interesting experience. Some jokes about vacation etc...the usual, but all in good spirit. Some jealousy, yes......but you must learn to shoulder that too! Take every opportunity to tell them how hard you had to work, and that you were the roadies and the performers etc.

You have to sort of educate them since they have no idea what you have been through. And they do want to know. They are going to be watching you closely to see how you have changed and if you are a snob about it etc. Don't be! Show them that TIB are NOT prima-donnas and that we are not spoiled celebritards. They want so badly to know what you've been through, and to hear some of your stories etc. So don't be shy or too modest about letting them in on some of your memories. That should help them see that you are still a good person, and that you've grown and matured even more from the experience. It's important to make them feel that you are still one of them, and that they pulled the extra weight for you while you were gone for a worthy cause.

Stay busy and stay FOCUSED, and don't think that you HAVE to hit a wall to be a normal Prior. Some hit it harder than others, and some not so much. Remember, some have families to go back too. Some will get transferred upon returning, so they will be changing their environment as soon as they get back. Others will get promotions in rank etc, and have added responsibilites to deal with right away. So their lives will get busy fast and they will have little time to feel the slow-down process that goes with hitting the "wall".

Again some hit it hard and get dazed for awhile, while others bounce off and keep right on moving without missing a step. Remember....its not how you fall......but how you LAND that matters! Cool  Be cool pal! Take time to reflect every now and then to keep your TIB memories fresh and alive! Share the stories with your friends.

Gerry Wink

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » TIB Priors Updates » ....Does Everybody Hit The Wall???
 Page 1 of 1