FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   Register 
TIB Community Portal
Click here for bulletin board instructions. 
 Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » WWTC Selects for TIB » Here We Go
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am 

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Here We Go Reply with quote

ashley-montgomery

Well, what can I say I am so excited to get to staging. I know there hasn't been alot of chatter on here and I am afraid we may have missed some valuable tips from the people who know it best, so I was just wondering if any of you had any last minute advice you know "things you wish you knew" going in. We are so lucky to have such a tool, as the ones who have lived to tell about it and I want to know all I can!!
Thanks in Advance
Ashley

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: TIB 2008 Reply with quote

Derrick-Wright-89/90

The time is just about here for you all to make your way to Lackland and begin your journey.  I know that there is plenty of excitement as well as doubt going through your heads.  that is completely normal.  There are not many words of wisdom that us  priors can share with you except for be ready to work.  Know that you are going to be pushed beyond limits that you did not know possible. This is a fact that you cannot run from so just be ready for it.  Be ready to listen!  I will say that one again, BE READY TO LISTEN!  The folks who will be guiding you and teaching you have been there before so listen to what they say and do it!  If you listen, you will learn!  You will make mistakes, I guarantee you! If you learn from your mistakes you will grow from them, this is how you are going to get better!  And last but not least, ENJOY THE MOMENT!!  You will not get these moments back, so enjoy them!  You have been chosen because there is something special about each and every one of you!   It will be hard, it will be frustrating, you are not going to understand most of it so don't try to figure everything out.  Just give everything you have and it will be worth it and you will see the magic happen!  I have every bit of faith in you all and I know that this will be another fantastic year for the program.  And know that I and my brothers and sisters will be here every step of the way for you.  I look forward to seeing each one of you in the near future but until then know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.  As the Boss says and I quote " ON YOU!"

DERRICK WRIGHT
TIB 89 & 90

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: TIB 2008 Staging Advice Reply with quote

Katie-Badowski-10

I had to think on this one.  I am not in your situation right now, but I do have a few things that might be helpful.  

I am used to singing at least 4 hours a day (you will be singing longer...eventually) this is what saves my voice:

1.  Water (if you have to "go" often this is a good thing, if you don't then you need more water)  Hydration helps the body and the vocal chords.

2.  Heat pack (for at night when you are studying), it calms tense neck and shoulder muscles.  Tenseness in your upper chest through your jaw can cause bad tone quality.

3.  Emergen-C (Great to have item anyway)  It dissolves in 4 oz of water (I like my hot, like tea), it has 32 Mineral Complexes and B Vitamins.  Comes in multitude of flavors.  It is in a box, contains 36 packets.  Or a good multi-vitamin (take this instead of Emergen-C not both)  This keeps your body happy.  Happy body, happy voice.

4.   Support your singing with good posture and breath.  This is important.  If you are unsupported, it can lead to vocal problems.  Listen to what they tell you down there and you will be fine.  

5.  You will get tired.  I should say this again.  You will get tired and your voice will get tired.  They will push you to your limits.  They know what they are doing so trust them.  Your voice will get used to it.

On your body and choreography:

1. Invest in some Ben-gay (non-smelly kind), or tiger balm.  This really does help sore muscles.

2.  Cut your toe nails,buy foot powder, and have an extra pair of socks/hose.  Your foot care is really important don't neglect this.  It will save you from a nice bruised toe nail or worse.  

3.   Purchase band-aids and moleskin.  They have ones for blisters specifically, those are good too.  When you break your shoes in, you will be happy to have this handy.  Keep an eye on red areas on your feet.  Not everyone will have problems with their feet.  You don't need much, maybe a community stash.

4.   Take care of your diet.  Make sure you get plenty of fruits/veggies/protein and carbs etc.  Make it as balanced as you can.  Your body needs good nutrients to repair itself.

5.  I found that Pedialite works wonders.  This stuff is designed for children to keep them from losing electrolytes and such while they are sick.  It comes in a Popsicle form which is yummy or in liquid.  It absorbs quickly.  I use this when I am really active and alternate the usage with Gatorade or Poweraid. This stuff is great when your body feels like it needs a little bit of a boost.

I think that is about it.  I have to get back to learning new music for tomorrow.  Best of luck to all of you down there.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Wolverine's Thoughts For a Successful Tour Reply with quote

Kellee-Ryan-95

Be kind to your techs.  If you break or lose something, tell someone right then, not ten minutes before the show.  It's not "show friends", its "show business" - don't take things personally and don't hold a grudge.  No matter how much you think you do, you don't know everything.  Everything is funny a month from now so don't get caught up in how bad something sucks right this moment.  Attitude and anthrax sound similar and both are contagious, which do you want to be known for?  Gossip on the road is like crapping in your own cookie jar - it might feel good to vent but its hard to get rid of once its happened and its something you will inevitably regret.  Quit asking "why" - we did this way before you got here and we'll keep doing it that way after you're gone.  Sometimes you learn the most by saying the least.

TOP View user's profileSend private message   BOTTOM

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » WWTC Selects for TIB » Here We Go
 Page 1 of 1