FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   Register 
TIB Community Portal
Click here for bulletin board instructions. 
 Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » TIB Priors Updates » TIB in Iraq (medical for 2 yrs)
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm 

Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: TIB in Iraq (medical for 2 yrs) Reply with quote

mrshowfan

Happy Holidays TIB!

NOTICE:
For those that are separating and DID NOT do a "regular rotation" in Iraq:

I was never deployed to Iraq, but my permissive TDY time in TIB while in Iraq (4 days total) allowed me 2 free years of medical care through the VA.

Just so you know. Take advantage of it.

Sly
TIB '05 Trumpet

TOP View user's profileSend private message   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christine-Farris-05

Hey Sly!!

Where did you find that info out? Let me know.

Hope you are doing well!!

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrshowfan

I got this information from a VA representative. He asked if I had ever served in Iraq and I said "Well, I was in Iraq for 4 days. Is there some sort of time requirement (in Iraq) to get the medical benefits from the VA?" He said "I dont know, lets go find out" So we went over to another rep and he said "Nope, as long as you were in Iraq you are entitled to the benefit".

So I filled out an application for the VA benefits and the following week I was able to get an appointment.

Its a good deal, and I thought I'd bring it up for TIB folks that were in Iraq and that are separating (and still want some free medical service); that didnt do the regular 3/4 month tour in Iraq.

Later.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christine-Farris-05

That is some really good info. I had no idea about that.

BTW, check your messages. I sent you one today.

Take care,

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: VA Medical Benefits Reply with quote

Naybu

To all who will be separating or have recently separated:
Sly gave some very valuable info concerning free medical care with the VA.  Make sure that if you have separated, that you register with the VA for medical benefits anyway, whether the benefits are free or not.  They can save you a whole lot of money when it comes to healthcare and medication.  I went from $150 a month for medication to around $80.  Great savings.  Contact your local VA office.  Make sure you have a copy of your DD-214 and make a trip to that office.  Having served your country, I think it is great that your country honors you this way.  God Bless and everybody please have a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year!

Naybu

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamaal-Solomon-05

Silvie! How's it going man? Hit me back sometime

Peace
~ J

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the great tip! Reply with quote

Beverly-Sadural-05

Hmmm, I wonder if that works only if I did ALL my 4 years...Knowing Im getting out early...But thanks for giving me hope...Free medical...woo hoo!!

Hey! Hows post military life treatin ya?

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrshowfan

It works if you have ever stepped foot in country as far as I am aware. You might speak to the VA rep at your base about it. Since your circumstance is different, you might have some special conditions to adhere to.

Congrats on your new opportunity.

Post military life is okay. I'm looking forward to attending grad school somewhere. (Fingers crossed for Univ of Hawaii)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry-Frey-06

Hey Sly!  Where are you at brother?  I have no clue on how to get hold of you if you are still in the CA area.  Where do I pick up a DD 214 form for the VA benefits?  Give me a shout sometime!

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrshowfan

Hey Frey,

In MI right now. Leaving to work with Madison for the summer tomorrow.

The DD 214 is strictly given to you right when you separate.

For the VA medical benefits see one of the counselors in the VA building next to the hospital. (go in turn left, and there is a hallway tucked in back there) There is a VA rep on the right about 10 or 20 ft down the hallway. I cant remember the guys name, but he can hook you up, and get more info.

All you have to do is prove that you were in the desert. Get those Permissive TDY orders from Tops in Blue ready, and fill out some paperwork. Wait about 2 or 3 weeks, and then the VA will start getting you into their system. (assuming you are separating)

Cheers!

SF

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Madison, as in "Scouts"?!? Reply with quote

Bobby-Washington-Jr-05

Sly Ful 1'

thats' kewl. If you get a minute, shoot me a tour schedule...I've got some time next mo. and July coming up.

BW'

..."Its All Relative....But, It's Not Negative".....

TOP View user's profileSend private message Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » TIB Priors Updates » TIB in Iraq (medical for 2 yrs)
 Page 1 of 1