FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   Register 
TIB Community Portal
Click here for bulletin board instructions. 
 Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » WWTC Selects for TIB » TIB 2007
 Goto page Previous  1, 2 The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm 

Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Clothes Reply with quote

Matt-Dechant-04

Kerri-Brooks-03 wrote:

YES!!!  For God's sake, bring an alarm clock...a battery powered one.  The power will go out or the room you're in will not have one right when you need it most.  

I agree!  Although I never had a problem with power going out (other than durring staging) TWICE on tour I set the alarm in my room to go off at the correct time, only to find out that the actual clock time was set 12 hours off (pm when it should have been am) so when 6:00am rolled around, since the clock was set to PM, and I set the alarm to AM it didn't go off!

So that's one more reason to bring your own clock, because no matter how many times you double check your room clock to make sure it's set to the right time, it's that one time you forget that something will be wrong.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM Address  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Clothes Reply with quote

Naybu

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I'm sure this has already been mentioned but when it comes to clothing, please don't bring your biggest suitcase to staging with you.  First, like it has been stated, you'll be given your TIB clothes to wear.  For ladies and guys, bring two or three outfits that you can interchange (slacks with polo, jeans with polo, blouse with skirt, blouse with jeans).  Your suitcase will be chocked full of TIB attire and that's what you need to be worried about first.  Anything extra you bring to staging will sit nicely in one of the soundbooths on the stage in the production center.  Let me just say, it can get very humid in San Antonio during the summer months, so be smart.  What Kerri said about the alarm clock is so true.  I traveled with one and it was great.  Guys, if you can use disposable razors, us that.  That way, you don't have to worry about the voltages when you travel to other countries.  You may not always stay on the base in different countries.  Anyway, I know the agency has already let you guys know most of this stuff, but just in case some of you forgot, this is just a reminder.  I'm out!  You guys have a great New Year and I really look forward to seeing your show next year.  God Bless!

Naybu

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Mobile internet connections Reply with quote

Buddy-Johnson-07

I'm planning on getting a data card for my laptop; it acts somewhat like a phone modem for connecting to the internet using what's basically a cell phone signal - that's where I plan to get it, too:  from my cell phone company.  

The other option would be to just use the wireless capability that comes with most laptops, wait until you're near a Wireless Access Point (Starbucks, many public libraries, most McDonalds in the U.S., and most airports but they charge a fee) and connect through their service but that limits you a lot.

But hey, Priors, what has been/is being used to connect to the internet for email and such while on the road?

TOP View user's profileSend private message   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerri-Brooks-03

Buddy, I found that most billeting facilities and hotels we stayed at had business centers that had computers we could use to get on the internet.  Just make sure you have a stable thumb drive that you can use to send/receive info or reports or whatever.  While in the states, I got a few of those free AOL discs that you find at check out counters and used them.  I also found out that MSN had a "free 3-month trial" period thingy going on at the time too.  I don't ever recall having an issue trying to get online.  That was years ago, so I imagine it's going to be even easier and more convenient now what with all the unsecured wireless networks out there.  Twisted Evil

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: WOW!!!! Reply with quote

Faith-Walker

Shocked This is a first!  Star Command, I can hear you. . .  hello everyone!  Sorry for the long delay. . . I never thought that I would be able to use this sight!  But, I am glad that I am finally able to talk to everyone!  Hello Capt, and I have been reading up on everything!  I don't have too many questions, but now that I have access to the TIB control panel, I will be sending them your way!  I hope everyone had a blessed holiday season and I cannot wait to see everyone in 13 days!   Yah, that's right, less than two weeks to go, so make sure to keep your family, friends and most importantly your supervisors up to date with what you need to get done before you leave so no one feels left out while you are running around!   Laughing

Otherwise, that is all for now!  

Again, cannot wait to see my new family!  God bless!

We are all given a gift, it is how we use it that matterss

TOP View user's profileSend private message Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: Dentists are the bane of outprocessing Reply with quote

Patrick Crossland

Hey,

I don't know if anyone else will get to have the pleasure of having their wisdom teeth yanked 4 days before they are supposed to be getting on a plane to san antonio, but I sure will.  Apparently if i don't fix this immediately, imminent death is sure to follow...   and somehow now I am going to be doing my PFT while on perkiset.  That ought to be fun.  Other than that, I am extremely excited to get to San Antonio and seeing the new family.  Oh and on a side note I too have been looking into the air card thing, sony erricson makes a model that claims to be tri-band(worldwide use), it is only availabe thru T-mobile, and it is 29.99 per month as an add on to T-mobile service, or 49.99 per month by itself.  Sprint also offers air cards, but I found T-mobile to be alot more helpful.

Patrick Crossland
AKA "lightswitch"

"Catchy slogan here"

-Annonymous

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website MSN Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt-Dechant-04

Patrick.  Back in 2004 I was in a tight situation when I PCSed from Misawa 2 days after I got back from Worldwide, and found out I made the team when I got to my new base (fort gordon).  I think I had about 6 days to get everything together, needless to say some stuff didn't get done.  One of which was my PFT.

I don't know what the current AFI is, and can't say for sure.  But I believe that while on TIB you wont be required to do a PFT until you get back to your unit.  I went the entire year without doing an official PFT and when I returned to my base they gave me 4 weeks to get acclimated to the area before testing me.  So if you can't do your PFT for medical reasons, I wouldn't spend too much time stressing over it.  

If I were you, I'd look up the AFI and/or explain the situation to your squadron fitness NCO.  Hopefully they'll be as helpful as mine were.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM Address  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: T-Mobile Wireless Internet Reply with quote

lee-alexander-05

As another T Mobile user I just wanted to clarify the internet card option.  If you have a device that supports being used as a modem (blackberry,mda,sda,ect.) then you can add the internet package for $29.95 a month.  If you get the card for your computer and the $29.95 internet package you will have to swap the sim card between your phone and the internet card and you will only be able to get calls when you are not on the internet.  With the $49.95 plan the wireless card gets it's own sim chip and you can surf all you want and never miss a call.

TOP View user's profileSend private message Yahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Froeber WWTC06

Hmm...
I've got T-mobile, and they are awesome.
Right now, I've got a motorola phone that I use as a modem via bluetooth.
It's not a terrible connection, but it's not blazingly fast either. Does T-mobile have a broadband/highspeed card for laptops?
And here's the catch, I've got a macbook pro, so I've got an express slot, not the standard card slot.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael-Manfredonia-04

As for the internet option, I can pass on what we of TIB 2006 have done.  There are many of us that do indeed have either a PC Card modem, or use our phone as the modem.  As far as speed and coverage goes, here's what we have found from being on the bus in weird places:  Cingular has the best coverage area, but on average is only approx. 4 times faster than dial-up, Sprint is by far the fastest connection but their coverage starts to get shaky in wooded/hilly areas before Cingular's.  T-mobile tends to go either into roaming or just lose coverage all together more often than the rest, and Verizon's coverage is above average.  Mind you, the coverage area limits are referring to areas west of the Mississippi R. as pretty much every square inch of land east of the Mississippi R. has coverage.  Overall, if you go with the PC Card option, I would recommend Sprint first, Cingular second (rate/usage plans are similar).  If you are going to be using your phone as your modem, then obviously sticking with who you have currently would be your best option.  And just so everyone is aware, I use Cingular for both phone and internet, so I can attest to it's slowness, but still very reliable.

Steve, I feel your pain on the ExpressCard slot.  I just got a Macbook Pro and I'm desperately trying to find an adapter for my PC Card modem.

04 Audio & 06 Audio

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Froeber WWTC06

Yeah..I'm thinking about waiting until T-mobile comes out with one...but my contract is up in march...so I might just go with another provider that has the express internet slot.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM

Goto page Previous  1, 2
 TIB Community Portal Forum Index » WWTC Selects for TIB » TIB 2007
 Page 2 of 2