FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   Register 
TIB Community Portal
Click here for bulletin board instructions. 
 Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » TIB Priors Updates » Stars and Stripes
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am 

Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Stars and Stripes Reply with quote

Kellee-Ryan-95

Some of you may have heard about or actually seen the letter written by MSgt (ret) Bob Pearson in the 3 Feb online issue of Stars and Stripes regarding Tops in Blue being a waste of money (is the guy's timing perfect or what?)  Here is the link, in case you're in the mood to be mad: http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=125&article=67736

So, having had seven letters to the editor published in the AF Times throughout my career, numerous letters in local papers, and a frequent letter writer to Congressmen and Senate/House Armed Services Committees, of course I felt compelled to fire off a letter to this individual regarding our program.  I got a call from Stars and Stripes this morning and they are publishing my letter online Sunday night at the earliest, or definitely Monday morning.  Some of this I paraphrased from the letter I gave to TIB for our 3 Feb deadline.  With the constraint of 300 words max, this is what I wrote:

In response to MSgt (ret) Bob Pearson’s 3 Feb 10 Letter to the Editor:
Since your experience with Tops in Blue is being “volun-told” to attend a show, allow me to refute your suggestions.  
Tops in Blue is funded primarily by Non-Appropriated Funds (NAF), coming from patronage of places like the BX.  Using your logic, base libraries, clubs, movie theatres, and bowling alleys are unneeded since they are NAF-funded too.  The “concerts and sports teams” you suggest are too expensive for many Airmen or retirees -- Tops in Blue is free.  It is not only possible but typical that hundreds of thousands of people attend our shows per year at air shows, Air Force Weeks, NASCAR, plus regular shows.
The Air Force needs Tops in Blue.  Frequent deployments erode troop morale and stretch those back home to their limits.  Where else can a dependent mom take her kids to see high quality, multifaceted entertainment for free?  And when dad, who is deployed yet again, laughs with his kids about their favorite songs from that same show because he saw it too, the moment that family shares is why we exist.  Our motto is Family Entertaining Family; you might see rock stars or NFL cheerleaders in Kuwait or Kyrgyzstan but nowhere else will you see a show that has an A1C you supervised at your last base or the SSgt that lives two doors down in base housing.  
No calculator has a morale button but it is worth the cost.  Since you have never shook the frail hand of a wheelchair-bound WWII veteran or had grateful troops thanking you before they go back to their boring, stressful, bloody jobs in the war zone, you will never know what Tops in Blue truly means to those who need it most.

Kellee A. Ryan, MSgt, USAF
Eglin AFB, FL
Tops in Blue 1995

TOP View user's profileSend private message   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David-Weaver-04

Kellee,
I read the article and was infuriated. You are right what "perfect timing". I noticed that the person who wrote the article is here at Aviano. If he still lives in the area I would be glad to have a sit down chat with him and set the record straight. If you receive a response from this individual point him my way. I am stationed here at Aviano with a couple of other priors and the  positive impact Tops In Blue has on this base is wonderful. Our own Wing Commander is a huge supporter of the porgram. I appreciate your response to the publication of the article.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lola-Ross-00

Kelly,
I just read "that" letter the in the Stars and Stripes and I thank you for replying.  I always got picked on by other people about TIB being just a vacation (usually they were co-workers), but when I told them what TIB actually did when not performing and the bond that only TIB members know, they understood.  What I think people don't understand either is that it's your squadron commander who releases you if selected and he or she understands that even though the squadron/flight/duty section is down one man, they can cover it and know that this permissive TDY is important to the USAF.  When TIB came thru Kunsan at Christmas, I literally dragged my crew chief friends to see it so that they could understand why it was so important to me to try out again.  And they actually enjoyed it and I think were quite surprised at what they saw.  I even got one of my friends to admit it was better than seeing the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders who were there just a day or so before.
I hope that you'll post when your reply is released and if you get any other responses to it.
I sure could use a Kelly hug about now Smile.
Thanks again Kelly for defending all that is TIB.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellee-Ryan-95

Thanks guys, I hope it made a difference.  Keep praying...

TOP View user's profileSend private message   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirwalt23

Contestant Katie Badowski also has an article on there too!  Both well said!

Here is the solution... let's have a Commander's call for the BIG WHIGS and hook'em up with some Pyro when they walk in... That would be AWESOME!  They would feel like a million bucks... Ladies and gentlemen, the Commander! (poof, bow, BANG!)

Pyro rocks!
www.str8silly.com

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD-Dill

Kellee,
I read your reply as well as Katie's and both were well written.  I don't get some people and I guess I never will.  I tried to email David Weaver but it failed so I will post my "idea/though" here.  Since he and other priors are already at Aviano, get this guy into a meeting with the priors and the supportive Wing/CC.  This would allow him to be enlightened about what TIB really is as well as give him the chance to see there is support out there whether he agrees with it or not.  Just my thoughts.  

By the way, I printed your prayer and say it every night.  I know the power of prayer works and I'm not expecting to be let down this time.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David-Weaver-04

JD,
We are more than willing to sit down with this man and explain the truth behind the program. I am currently in a show with our Vice Wing King and he brought up the article to me last night at rehearsal. We had a really good conversation about things. He had a lot of questions about the program. I referred him to the agency for some of the more dificult questions but he was really infuriated that the article was posted at all. We have more people on our side than we think. Let's keep praying that these people will come forward and fight for us un-biased. My e-mail is wadeweaver33@hotmail.com if you ever want to get a hold of me.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirwalt23

Folks... please remember this is a free country (even in Aviano)... he can think what he wants.  The last thing we need is to pressure someone into something which shed more a negative feeling.

Let it be!  Let AFE and Chief handle it.

Again - we all like different things and it is perfectly legal for him to have his opinon.  It's not our duty to change it.
www.str8silly.com

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD-Dill

Thanks Walt.  Sometimes I get a bit over passionate in my response.  I'm not trying to change anyones opinion; just wanted to educate the man.  Sometimes ignorance is the greates form of injustice.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: My two cents..... Reply with quote

Katie-Badowski-10

Yes, I did add my two cents worth.  I couldn’t just let that article go with just one response.   Isn’t there supposed to be power in numbers?  Kellee, you’re amazing.   I didn’t even know about the article until you mentioned it.   I thought long and hard before I even responded.     The more I thought though, the more I wanted to say something.     I understand the 300 word limit.  It was hard to get all you wanted to say into that tiny paragraph.  So, I picked one observation that I’ve had over the years regarding the program and society in general.    I hope you all  didn’t mind  Cool

Post Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libby-Castle-94

I don't think there's a problem with responding to any comments about this program.  Just as Walt said of that gentlemen, he has a right to his opinion, just as we do ours.

The important thing to remember though is we are representing an organization and we must do it with class...and you both did, in my humble opinion.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website   BOTTOM

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » TIB Priors Updates » Stars and Stripes
 Page 1 of 1