FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   Register 
TIB Community Portal
Click here for bulletin board instructions. 
 Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » WWTC Selects for TIB » WWTC Selectees 2009!
 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm 

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Congratulations Reply with quote

Chandra Smith

First let me say THANK YOU to the contestants at WWTC....you guys gave me the inspiration I need to finish this '08 tour and reminded me of why I wanted so badly to be part of TIB in the first place.  
Congratulations to everyone who has made the 2009 team, my thoughts and prayers will be with you.
I will be proud to drink from my silver goblet, give up my seat on the bus, and pass on the TIB tradition to a group of outstanding individuals!

44 Days Left of 2008 Deja Blue Tour!!!!  Laughing  

Chandra Smith

TOP View user's profileSend private message   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mimi-Ledet-06

Lightswitch wrote:
Oh and I HIGHLY doubt they would ever have me back...

dude, speaking as a bona-fide "stank prior", you honestly never know.  i NEVER thought i'd get the call to tour again, and i got asked to join the current tour.  life is weird like that sometimes.

if either of the keyboardists or any of the officers have questions as to what to expect, i'll be happy to answer them.  hell, that goes for everyone who was and was not selected!

congrats to all who have been selected thus far, and i look forward to seeing you when you come to wright-pat!

Little Mimi,
Little Mimus,
Little Cabbage-Handed One...

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM Address  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Blake_Whilden

Lightswitch wrote:

On as side note, any lighting guys picked up or is the search still on?

There were no lighting contestants at World Wide... but on another note I actually expressed interest to the staff of the possibility of me doing back to back tours (as the Lighting Director for '09) so we'll see what happens.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Blessed Reply with quote

James-Alston

I just want to say it was the biggest blessing to meet all of the people i have met in the WWTC

07 - show 2
09 - show 1

I have had the drive to do great things.

Thank you for add the light I needed in a dark time!!!

James "Huggy Bear" Alston

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny Frost 09

Hey everyone,

just wanted to let you know scott robinson was notified today that he is on board for 2009. Awesome job scott.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: New announcements Reply with quote

Brian-Reno

Shane Jones is on the bus playing guitar.

Congrats to Shane and Scott Robinson!!!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Not too good with names Reply with quote

Naomi-Keen

I sure wish I recognized everyone's name. I'm better with songs, so if anyone knows the breakdown of who made it along with what they sang at Worldwide, that would be great.

Thanks!

CONGRATULATIONS ALL!!

"Be a Blessing to those who deserve it and those who do not, because you may never know whose life you are turning around. Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Not too good with names Reply with quote

Brian-Reno

Naomi-Keen wrote:
I sure wish I recognized everyone's name. I'm better with songs, so if anyone knows the breakdown of who made it along with what they sang at Worldwide, that would be great.

Thanks!

CONGRATULATIONS ALL!!

Naomi -  You can go to this board's photo albums and see the performers' pics.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: THANKS Reply with quote

Naomi-Keen

I was unaware that the pictures were posted! Thank you!

"Be a Blessing to those who deserve it and those who do not, because you may never know whose life you are turning around. Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Awesome! Reply with quote

Danny-Rutherford

I'm so proud of all the selections so far (I just CAN'T stop crying!)  Just remember, now the real work begins.  Buckle down and stay strong!  I can't wait to see this team grow!  

If you're not selected and you have this in your heart, right on! See you next year, right?

Waiting with baited breath,
Danny Rutherford
Charlie Team Leader
TIB 2007
Razz

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: The Official list Reply with quote

Aisha-Smith

Hello everyone!  I hope you all are having a great day so far!  I know that today is the final day for notifications, but does anyone know when/where the official list is going to be posted?

Congratulations to everyone so far!  I am so excited to go on this new journey with you all!! Smile

Uplift, encourage and edify someone new everyday!!
Uplift, encourage and edify someone new everyday!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: WOO HOOO!!!!! Reply with quote

Johnny Magbanua

I am so stoked about all the selectees so far! I think this is going to be an amazing experience unlike any other. Keep your heads up everyone! It's not over yet. And remember what the Chief said, even if you don't get a call by the end of today, you never know if they might decide if they need someone while we are at staging or if someone can't make it. Lots of love to my new growing family! Can't wait till March!

Side note: Scott Robinson's pic is not in the album.......

TOP View user's profileSend private message Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Tech Team photos Reply with quote

Brian-Reno

johnnymags17 wrote:

Side note: Scott Robinson's pic is not in the album.......

If you look at the Tech group pic:
Adam Sims is 2nd row seated on the far left(white t-shirt, no hair)
Aaron Elliot is standing behind him to his right (shirt buttoned up)
Scott Robinson is sitting behind Adam
Christina Wells is the female sitting in the 2nd row
Alex Gonzalez is front row 2nd seated in from left

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James-Green

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank AFE for allowing me to work on the technical side of the house during this year's WWTS.
Congratulations to everyone that competed. To have made it to the worldwide level of competition speaks volumes about your talents.
For all those selected to tour with the 2009 cast, kudos!!! Now buckle in and get ready for the ride of your life!
A very special congratulations to all the 'Techies'.

Ricky, hang in there and keep your 'bearing' no matter what!

JAG

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirwalt23

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank AFE for allowing me to work on specialty auditions and emceeing during this year's WWTS.
Congratulations to everyone that competed. To have made it to the worldwide level of competition speaks volumes about your talents.
For all those selected to tour with the 2009 cast, good on you!!! Now buckle in and get ready for the ride of your life!
A very special congratulations to all the 'Techies'.

Ricky, hang in there and keep your 'bearing' no matter what!

WAC
www.str8silly.com

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official list Reply with quote

Blake_Whilden

Aisha-Smith wrote:

I know that today is the final day for notifications, but does anyone know when/where the official list is going to be posted?

The official list is usually posted on here and is published in the Air Force news. At least that's the way it happened last year.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-Rosales

I am keepin my cool, I slept on it, and am just gonna let everything happen as it is supposed to... I am taking some leave next week to get away and focus so Friday the 30th- the 4th of February i will be out of the office...  Smile

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James-Green

Walt,

You got a 'beatdown' coming your way!...lol

JAG

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake_Whilden

James... you tell everyone that but i have yet to see action!  Razz

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-Rosales

JAG & WALT ya'll crack me up....

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Words of Wisdom Reply with quote

Derrick-Wright-89/90

A few words of wisdom as we continue to wait for the Offical list.  It is not over until the Official List is posted.  It will be posted by AF Entertainment and AF Entertainment only. That will happen when Mr. Edwards (Chief to us Priors) gives the okay. It would not be wise to assume  that it is over.  Things happen and things change!  If you have recieved a notification then i would hold on to it and make sure that you do not do anything to lose it!  Just some words of advice from an oldtimer!

PS.  Walt, White shoes dude!  Say it aint so!   lol

DERRICK WRIGHT
TIB 89 & 90

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian-Reno

Good words, Oh Wise One......
How was the inauguration gig?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamaal-Solomon-05

To all that have been selected congrats to you all. Everyone is about to embark on one the most difficult journeys of your lives, but together you all can make it through. Know that you are not alone. There are many who have gone before you and made it through. Times get rough, days are long, but you have to stay strong. A wise man once told me, that without rain nothing can grow. That rain for you may be in the form of struggles with teammates, a hoarse voice, anything at all. Whatever form your rain comes in, use it, learn it and grow from it. All I can say is bring on the rain. God Bless you all.

Peace
~ J

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James-Warren

First of all, congrats to everyone who made it!  I'm very excited for you, and I know you'll represent the Air Force with Honor and Pride.

OK, so I waited until the "deadline" came and went to ask this question.  I hesitate to ask because at the banquet Mr. Edwards said "Don't call us." It's EOB on Tuesday and for me and the call never came.  Didn't I hear some of the team coordinators say that if you did not make it you would be notified and given the opportunity to ask why (thereby better knowing what areas to work on for future contests)?  Maybe that was just a rumor, but I'm hungry for critiques.  So, was there any truth to that?    Wink

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy-Johnson-07

I know they have in the past sometimes provided contructive criticism for non-selectees but there have been some contestants who tried to argue about it, denying the faults that led to them not being selected.  If you honestly are looking for ways to improve your craft and to improve your chances to be selected in the future, your team leaders can help even if you don't hear from the AFE staff in San Antonio.

But don't ask unless you're ready for some unvarnished (and perhaps even painful!) truths.  And also remember that two things Tops in Blue really looks for is potential and positive attitude - people who can't accept criticism aren't really showing either quality.

Good Luck!

Post Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James-Warren

How can you improve your craft if you can't accept constructive critiques? Bring it on, I say!  I look forward to seeing the full list of who made it.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerri-Brooks-03

I'd like to echo what Derrick said...selection ain't over until Chief says it's over.  Sometimes people do get picked up in Staging.  I wouldn't sit around holding your breath until then, but stay positive and start focuing on next year.  Keep your chops up and maybe, just maybe, you'll get the call.  You just never know.  

One other thing I'd like to address here...I know I've read in at least TWO places where Chris Burch states that you need to register with your "first name-last name" and yet I still see folks doing whatever they want with their user IDs.  Come on now, folks...rules is rules.  A big part of TIB is doing what you're supposed to do, when and how you're supposed to do it, no matter what, no matter who's watching.  You might as well start now!  

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Congrats to everyone who's been notified (GO TECHS!) and best of luck next year for those who weren't!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webmaster
Site Admin

Don't worry...I'll be addressing all of those offenders very soon.

Twisted Evil

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon-Lahn

Kerri-Brooks-03 wrote:
I'd like to echo what Derrick said...selection ain't over until Chief says it's over.  Sometimes people do get picked up in Staging.  I wouldn't sit around holding your breath until then, but stay positive and start focuing on next year.  Keep your chops up and maybe, just maybe, you'll get the call.  You just never know.  

One other thing I'd like to address here...I know I've read in at least TWO places where Chris Burch states that you need to register with your "first name-last name" and yet I still see folks doing whatever they want with their user IDs.  Come on now, folks...rules is rules.  A big part of TIB is doing what you're supposed to do, when and how you're supposed to do it, no matter what, no matter who's watching.  You might as well start now!  

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Congrats to everyone who's been notified (GO TECHS!) and best of luck next year for those who weren't!

I'm guilty here.  I registered before I read the bulletin, can the Admin change this?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam-Sims

You can change it yourself... Just click "profile" and correct the information.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: To J@W (fyi) Reply with quote

Naybu

Sir/Ma'am,
Please give everything time.  Trust me, the process of selecting a team of people who will look, sound and work well together is a task in and of itself.  As MSgt Johnson (Buddy) stated, they have notified people in the past as to why they were not selected, and I'm not sure if they're doing it again this year.  If they are, please know that it is a small staff up there (maybe around 6 people) running the AF Entertainment/Tops In Blue office, and they still have a tour out on the road that they have to take care of.  If you are not contacted in the time that you would like, please don't take it as an affront to your talent.  Honestly, they are VERY busy.  As you see people still posting that it ain't over until Chief says it's over.  So, don't worry, if they are going to contact you, they will.  Again, that is no affront or disrespect to your talent, that's the first part of the reality that we operate in.  If you were on Derrick's team, feel free to contact me, and I'll be glad to give you some tips.  If not, feel free to contact one of your team coordinators.  That's what we are here for.  Trust me!  I'm already talking to people from Team Alpha about what to do next year.  So, with all that said, I simply say, please be patient.  When the times comes you will hear back.  Take care, and God Bless!

Naybu

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellee-Ryan-95

Good point Kerri...unless you're one of the "one name" TIB people...like Naybu, Glo, Kahlil, or Skeeter.  Then its kind of like being Cher, Sting, or Prince -- everybody just knows who you are.  Smile
But for the new kids, they say integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking.  Trust me when I say that when we joke about bugged rooms and periscopes emerging from the bushes that its absolutely true, there are people EVERYWHERE who are watching and listening.  It always amazed me how we would be at the most weird or isolated places on tour and somebody would walk in wearing the TIB t-shirt and I'd think "Jeez, HERE too?!"  Or I'd get my face cracked for saying something three states ago backstage while I thought everyone was gone and there wasn't a soul within fifty feet of where I was sitting when I said it.  Or the time in staging I didn't feel like changing out of work clothes to go to Subway out on hamburger hill so I'm standing there, the only random person in the store at like 8 PM on a Tuesday and who walks in but MRS CHIEF to get The Great and Powerful Oz a sandwich.  What are the odds that I would get busted wearing the totally wrong outfit when I knew better but I did it anyway?  Long enough I assumed no one would be looking...but sure as hell here I was, looking very stupid indeed.  So my point is, get used to being under the microscope and adjust your behavior accordingly.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirwalt23

(Naybu response interpted for those who don't use good english)

Sir/Ma'am, (Errbody)
Please give everything time.  (Stop tripping and wait!) Trust me, the process of selecting a team of people who will look, sound and work well together is a task in and of itself.  (We busy picking the new team and managing the old one.) As MSgt Johnson (Buddy) stated, they have notified people in the past as to why they were not selected, and I'm not sure if they're doing it again this year.  (Again, we busy trying to do 5000 things for Tops in Blue and you worried about yo'self)  If they are, please know that it is a small staff up there (maybe around 6 people) running the AF Entertainment/Tops In Blue office, and they still have a tour out on the road that they have to take care of.  (We busy and don't have a lot of time, we will get to you!)  If you are not contacted in the time that you would like, please don't take it as an affront to your talent.  (We are trying very hard not to use up all of our day minutes on our cell phones) Honestly, they are VERY busy.  As you see people still posting that it ain't over until Chief says it's over.  (If you think you want to be TIB you better get prepared to WAIT with NO INSTRUCTIONS)  So, don't worry, if they are going to contact you, they will.  Again, that is no affront or disrespect to your talent, that's the first part of the reality that we operate in.  If you were on Derrick's team, feel free to contact me, and I'll be glad to give you some tips.  (Don't ask me a question you don't want the answer to!)  If not, feel free to contact one of your team coordinators.  That's what we are here for.  Trust me!  I'm already talking to people from Team Alpha about what to do next year.  So, with all that said, I simply say, please be patient.  (WAIT MAN!) When the times comes you will hear back.  Take care, and God Bless! (Peace out 5000 Gee!)

-- On the real -- If you can't understand and take direction regarding phone calls, getting the call, posting the list, and all that everyone is frustrated about, then you ain't ready for Tops in Blue.  That's just keeping it ONE HUNDRED! (aka Keeping it REAL!)

WATCH YOUR TAPE/DVD (whatever they gave you)... you should be able to SEE something you need to work on.  I saw rehersals and the live show... YOU CAN SEE SOMETHING!  (I know I did!)

Peace & Laughter
Walt
www.str8silly.com

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Walt Reply with quote

Blake_Whilden

You crack me up Walt...

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Bone Player! Reply with quote

Brian-Reno

Got word that A1C Vickie Howard is on the bus!!!
CONGRATS VICKIE!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarryn-Holyfield

Is that the trumpet player? "Pink Panther"??

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirwalt23

I was thinking she was the drummer, but I'll got with Pink Pather.

Teezy
www.str8silly.com

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarryn-Holyfield

Correction: Trombone player!! Congrats Vicki!!!!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: To J@W (fyi) Reply with quote

James-Warren

Naybu wrote:
Sir/Ma'am,
Please give everything time.  Trust me, the process of selecting a team of people who will look, sound and work well together is a task in and of itself.  As MSgt Johnson (Buddy) stated, they have notified people in the past as to why they were not selected, and I'm not sure if they're doing it again this year.  If they are, please know that it is a small staff up there (maybe around 6 people) running the AF Entertainment/Tops In Blue office, and they still have a tour out on the road that they have to take care of.  If you are not contacted in the time that you would like, please don't take it as an affront to your talent.  Honestly, they are VERY busy.  As you see people still posting that it ain't over until Chief says it's over.  So, don't worry, if they are going to contact you, they will.  Again, that is no affront or disrespect to your talent, that's the first part of the reality that we operate in.  If you were on Derrick's team, feel free to contact me, and I'll be glad to give you some tips.  If not, feel free to contact one of your team coordinators.  That's what we are here for.  Trust me!  I'm already talking to people from Team Alpha about what to do next year.  So, with all that said, I simply say, please be patient.  When the times comes you will hear back.  Take care, and God Bless!

Naybu

Thanks for the reply Naybu (and for interpreting, Walt).  If I came off as being impatient, I misrepresented my intent.  I was simply curious, that's all.  This being my first WWTC, I don't know how it all works.  So color me inexperienced!  I'm in no hurry.  

On a personal note, I was notified that if I did not make the tour I'll be deploying in April to Curacao.  Anyone ever been there?  The people in my office are saying "Guess you were just destined for a vacation either way".  I tried to explain about the TIB tour not being a vacation, but they just said 'whatever'.   Rolling Eyes

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon-Lahn

Until you've actually experienced, people really think you're living like a rock star.  People expressed their opinions to me that TiB is a waste of money but now that I've been to WWTC, I know better Smile

BTW Col, Vickey is SrA Smile

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-Rosales

Simon-
It's just the beginning of the commments... no matter how you explain it, no one can ever know, so just live like you know better. And understand that they can't have a clue about what the teams go through..And we are glad that they don't know, because that means the team is doing their job and making it look easy... They just know the show and the fascade we present while in the public, which is "perfect" as it should be... Tour Business is Tour Business and your personal trials are just that, not for the public to understand... It will be a tough year but also the most rewarding! You will grow soo much it is unbelievable, so let others think what they will, as long as you know the truth and know what you put into it... That's all that matters

Post Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirwalt23

Ever see a ROCKSTAR carry Type 2's or put up their own TRUSS PIECES?  (Besides Khalil)
www.str8silly.com

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirwalt23

So.. on the serious side of the house.

To all of those who did not get call, let me put this out there.  You heard folks say they tried out numerous times and didn't get the call until their 3rd or 4th time.  There are too many reason why they didn't get the call.  Could be they weren't ready, could be their base/work section really needed them for something, again could be SO MANY reasons.  What you have to focus on, and I know its hard because you want to TOUR so bad, but what you have to focus on is what you have gained from your first, second, third or tenth time at Worldwide.

We are all given a tool bag.  Take what tools you got from your experience and store them in your tool bag.  What to look for when you do a sound check?  What to look for when you are on stage and need more or less lighting?  How to conduct yourself as THE BEST of THE BEST.  I saw a lot of teams, doing things the 2nd day that they didn't do the first day of the contest.  Walking in line.  Women first. Men escorting the ladies.  Opening doors.  Basically, A lot of courtesy and respect.  Those are tools that only after 1 day of being in the enviornment of Air Force Entertainment and the Tops in Blue program you picked up.  Those are the FOUNDATION of the program - from day 1 of staging to the day you get your RING and beyond.

Yes the end result of your hard work is to get a seat on that bus!  But don't miss all of the other benefits you receieved in those 11 days.

If you got the call... congrats.

If you didn't... let me lay this on you.

A gentlemen tried out for the 2001 WWTC.  Didn't get the call he wanted.  Instead got selected to help out administratively with the team.   Didn't get to reherse.  Didn't get the cool jump suits, T-Shrits, or those fabulous dance shoes.  We did 3 months of rehersals.  Less than 2 weeks before we left for our first show.. HE WAS ANNOUNCED as part of Tops in Blue 2001-The Magic of Music.   He learned the routines by sitting and watching and practicining in the wings, in the office, when no one was looking. He sat with the vocal coach during lunch and her off times and learned parts thinking he was just fooling around.  But folks are always looking-watching.  He took the tools he learned from WW which was to learn everything you can, keep sharpening your skills, and ALWAYS ALWAYS BE READY.

For those that didn't the call... ALWAY - ALWAYS - BE READY.

In the words of Chris Rock... "YOU NEVA KNOW!"  Ain't that right Spencer!

Peace & Laughter
Walt
www.str8silly.com

Last edited by sirwalt23 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Thats Being Blue! Reply with quote

Derrick-Wright-89/90

Thats being Blue yall!  Drop the knowledge on them Walt!  darn, thats what I am talking about!

DERRICK WRIGHT
TIB 89 & 90

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: No call, but no boo hoo Reply with quote

Jenifer-Calhoun

Ok so obviously I didn't get the call, but it has made me more eager to start now.  I registered with a dance instructor for lessons twice a week ,have already started working on a few voice exercises and listening to possible selections for music.  If WW taught me anything it was that I could do more than what I was doing.  Never underestimate my abilities and leave it on stage.  I'm too competitive to sit on the side lines so I rather get ready for the game.  I don't lose at racquetball and when I do I live on the court so in this case rehearsal.  Thanks for all the help, good luck to those who made, and mad LOVE for my Alpha team/ Team 4.  I can't wait to come back next year with contact lenses, a smaller waist line, improved abilities, and a strong desire to keep my seat on the bus.  You guys rock.

Musically yours,
Jen

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy-Johnson-07

I did not make the team my first time at World Wide.  I didn’t know what it was about or what to expect nor how to prepare for it.  I was in my 40’s and one thing Mr. Edwards was worried about was my physical condition, plus I didn’t do all that well on my horn.  I went home and practiced (a lot!), and even though I’m a trombonist I volunteered for extra “stage” time by singing the National Anthem at every base event I could get into.  I also got really involved in my unit’s PT program - my squadron would do 3-mile runs and I’d try to be one of the first people across the line at the end.  Then I started doing the same thing carrying dumbell weights.  I started riding my bicycle a lot and won a Trek mountain bike from my base’s Outdoor Rec office during one of their contests.  Then I competed in the base Triatholon – I didn’t win but I finished in the upper-half (and they didn’t break it out into age groups, either, so that was the upper half of everyone who completed the course).  I contacted my sister-in-law and borrowed some costumes from when we worked together in a community theatre group.  As a Senior NCO I also volunteered to fill in for my squadron First Sergeant, thinking that would be good experience in case I was assigned to be the team ‘Shirt for my tour (I did and it was!).

Point is, I looked at everything I could think of that would help me keep my seat on the bus and tried to improve myself.  I worked on my main instrument plus everything else I thought might be considered.  And it worked – I was selected on my next World Wide.  But this not only helped me make Tops in Blue, all the things I did also looked really good on my EPRs.  That feeds back to one of Mr. Edwards’ main goals:  He’s not only trying to provide quality entertainment from within the Air Force family, Tops in Blue tries to make all of us better Airmen and better citizens by asking us to keep trying, to keep working.

Even if I’d not been selected for the team all my efforts would not have been wasted.  That first time at World Wide opened my eyes up to the fact that while maybe I was already a pretty nice guy and a fairly competent NCO, I still had a lot of potential that was not being used; there was still a lot more that I could be doing.  I may never be the best trombonist in the world nor the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force (though I’m not giving up on that!) but I can try every day to be the best I can be.  If I don’t try I’m cheating myself.  Tops in Blue turned me on to that, even before I was ever selected for the team.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirwalt23

Perfect example of putting tools in your tool bag!

Oh two things I forgot to mention about the gentleman I was talking about:
1.  He is on the cover of the 2006 Tops in Blue Tour Poster rocking the guitar

2.  He had a solo and auditioned as dancer!

TSgt Walter A. Campbell
www.str8silly.com

Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aisha-Smith

Thanks Blake for answering (I know I'm late..lol)!  Well said Sir Walt and Buddy Smile

On another note....Remember that you never know what God's plan is for your life in the next year!  And something that I learned (thanks Mr. Jones) is.... "whether you say you can or you can't.....it is true!"  So always believe in yourself! Smile  

Stay blessed and be encouraged!   Wink
Uplift, encourage and edify someone new everyday!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian-Reno

One more name:

Megan Kelly is on the bus!
CONGRATS Megan!!!!!!!!!

Patiently waiting for more announcements....

Post Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellee-Ryan-95

Just to piggyback on what Sir Walt was saying...personally, it took me three tries to get my tour -- WWTC 92, 93, and 94.  At Worldwide 93, we were based at Tyndall to build the stage, assemble and build the lighting, etc and doing the actual competition downtown at Marina Civic Center.  Those were the days when lighting had like six people, audio I think had ten, and staging had probably 10-15 people (that was where I met Bob Morrow, among others).  Anyway, there was an Amn named Tommy who had been brought in as audio but they had a significant period of downtime for some reason I can't recall so those guys were doing a lot of sitting around for at least a week.  Tommy wandered over to lighting's corner and despite no experience in that area, begged for something to do so we put him to work.  Once audio got working again he went back to them but still tried to split time as best he could since he didn't like feeling like he had left us hanging.  Tommy Nollette got picked up as the lighting director for the 94 tour.  Now I could have let myself get bitter about the whole thing at that point since that was my second time getting invited as a lighting tech to WW and then not getting a call to tour.  But something inside me just told me I was on a mission and I would ask every year to keep going back to Worldwide until A) they took me on tour or B) they quit inviting me.  When I had an interview with Chief after WW 94, he told me he admired my perserverance -- I told him I wanted it so bad by then that I would tour as the Laundry Director and spend an entire tour doing nothing but washing everybody's socks if I had to.  (Maybe that was a convincing argument, because I made my tour in 95)  
Now let me be clear that I never washed anyone's unmentionables but my own, but I made my tour because I wanted it bad enough to trust THEY would know when I was ready, not when I thought I was.  I learned it firsthand and I'll tell anyone who is willing to listen, especially now that it seems almost everyone makes it to Tops in Blue their first time -- Trust that Chief and Co. know what they see in you and they will know when you're ready.  Sometimes someone makes it and you know people are thinking "are you kidding me?!  I was WAY better than them" and sometimes someone doesn't make it who everyone thought was a sure thing but the maybe leadership saw something you didn't that made them think twice.  
Have faith, believe in yourself, and start now working on your act for Worldwide next year.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 TIB Community Portal Forum Index » WWTC Selects for TIB » WWTC Selectees 2009!
 Page 2 of 3