FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   Register 
TIB Community Portal
Click here for bulletin board instructions. 
 Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » TIB Priors Updates » 20 years ago
  The time now is Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:14 pm 

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: 20 years ago Reply with quote

Bob-Morrow-88
Golden Roger
Golden Roger

Twenty years ago today, Chief selected myself, Cenie, Percy, Jesse, Miss Lorna and others for the TIB 88 stateside & overseas casts.

Two weeks of WWTC preliminary shows (10 of them), then the Finals Night show on Saturday in downtown San Antonio, then everyone trucked back to the Skylark on Lackland for the announcement of the '88 team. After the announcement we went into a team meeting (I think, or was that the following morning?), and the following morning staging began. For sure, night & morning were one.

At the time I had no idea that it would become a life-changing event.

I also can't believe it's been 20 years. No more doing choreography based, in part, on where your mic cord was (what side of the stage it came from).  No singing chorus from behind a wireless mic in the dressing rooms. We only had 2 wireless mics and they were for the two comedians. You'd get fined $25 I think for dropping a wireless mic, they were very expensive items back then.

They now use chain motors.  We had to hand-crank the front truss up. You were Charles Atlas if you could do it non-stop, I don't know if anyone ever did. But that's the only truss we had; 72 lights if we used the full 6 sections. No back truss, no scrollers, no Intellibeams, no Trackspots. Publicity photos taken on film, in black & white (newspapers of the day preferred that).

And, our teardown was done in less than 2 hours, usually around 1.5 hours I believe, with a record time of 48 minutes. Just more stuff these days I guess.

And the most obvious change - one tour, covering the world.

But, one thing we did have that disappeared in a year or so - pyro. I understand Chief's reasoning for not using it, but let's face it, God Bless the USA isn't the same without it.

How things change.

The one thing that hasn't changed is the effort needed to do the shows. Today's teams are just as Blue as those of us from '88.

Thanks to Cenie, Percy, Jesse and all the others on the 88 stateside tour - I'll remember you always.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

Derrick-Wright-89/90

I was at that Worldwide.  I was one the many not chosen that year but it was the launching ground for me to make it the next.  Yes touring has changed and I am proud to be able to sit back and read postings like yours, smile and say " Yes those were the good old days!  It is ironic that the name of this years show is "DEJA BLUE" or maybe it was planned all along, who knows!  This years show is full of all of what we know and expect TIB to be and a little bit of extra!   I was at the "sneak preview" and it was very good for an opening show!  It will only get better as they gain the confidence and experience!  Thank you Mr Morrow for all that you have done and for this posting!  And to the rest of the family, stay safe and enjoy each other!

DERRICK WRIGHT
TIB 89 & 90

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erika-Placencia

All I can think is that one day it'll be 20 years later for all of us. And as you have all watched the fledlings leave the nest and become Priors, we too will watch the new "kids" join the ranks and look back fondly.

But we all look up to our prior mentors.  So thanks for being there for each and every one of us.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website Yahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Tripping down Memory Lane Reply with quote

Kellee-Ryan-95

Thanks for sharing Bob!  I initially discovered TIB in 1992 and time has flown by since.  Not to rub salt in the wound, but we were the first tour to use the chain motors (thanks, Mike Wilkinson, your genius never ceases to amaze!) on the front truss.  As the '95 Lighting Director I thought the Intellabeams and Trackspots were cool...I am amazed and eternally jealous of all the toys and gadgets they tour with now!  Maybe in the next few years they'll just set the coordinates and beam the set into each venue?  

I never thought that I would ever be "old school" Tops in Blue but that is an honor that is definitely the greatest of my life.  Thanks to everyone I've met along the way through the years who has made this crazy trip so special.  

The Wolverine of Love

TOP View user's profileSend private message   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: all's well Reply with quote

Bob-Morrow-88
Golden Roger
Golden Roger

Y'know, nearly every time I walk out of the venue after seeing a TIB show, I think "all is well with the world".  Tonight was no different. Does this happen to anyone else?

This was the 22nd version of TIB I've seen, having caught at least one show of each tour every year since 1986, and on just about every occasion, the same thing happens. I walk out of the place and there are no problems. No, the world isn't all lovey-dovey afterwards, but somehow, things are all right.  They may not be the following morning, but for that 2 hours or so, everything is ok.

I point to the '88 tour and say "I did something right in my life". Not that what's happened since hasn't been worth it, but it's currently a work in progress.  My time with TIB '88 is not; it's all done.  I've never been married, have no kids (except for my dog).  In 10+ years I'll hopefully still be working for this company and be eligible for retirement. I might even be married.  Maybe then I'll be able to look back on my time with the co. and/or a wife and be able to say "I did something else right".

Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jay-reamey-88/89

BoB,
I have to agree, those were the good ole days... I received the 20 year anniversary package you sent. I sat in front of my television and played every minute of every video. WOW, I haven't felt so much emotion since the end of my last tour. BoB thank you so much. You really kept us all together as a family by establishing the priors web sight. I can't tell you enough how much you are appreciated. You are truly GOLDEN.
Chris, thanks again for picking up the baton and keeping us all connected.

TIB 88, Happy 20th Anniversary. Blue love to all past, present and future.

TIB 2008....On You.

True Blue Love Forever
Jay Reamey

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob-Morrow-88
Golden Roger
Golden Roger

Jay

Glad you liked it. So far I've only heard from you, Ernie & Van. I don't know if anyone else got it.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: 88 Priors Reply with quote

Lola-Ross-00

Hello Family!
I was in our new Target store today and had on my FAVORITE TIB t-shirt!  As I'm in the toy section w/my kids, a guy said "I know that shirt".  He comes back and told me he helped out or was part of the '88 OS tour.  His name is Thomas Ball (I think, it's so hard to remember when you are try to have a conversation and keep kids from getting into trouble).  Let me know if you remember or know him.  I'm sure I'll be frequenting this Target because it's literally 3 minutes from my house.
Missing all my blue brothers and sisters

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob-Morrow-88
Golden Roger
Golden Roger

Could it be Tommy LeBow? He was involved with staging for the 88 overseas and stateside tours, but was unable to tour.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl-Bullard-82-83-87Hope

Good flash-back Bob.

I remember the 83 cast posted a 45 minute teardown one motivated evening.
Yeah I remember the truss...the pyro... I remember 45 second wardrobe changes behind the front panels onstage during the opening...Oh yeah and the fines... i think I may have had the $$ record in '82, so to circumvent that problem I ran for and was elected Judge in '83  (heh heh ...what a politician huh)

Love & Respect

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan-Rolf-81

Bob,

It's ONLY 20 years.  I'm on 28 and still counting.  I'm hopeing to make it to 100, (and for my hair come back).

Still,...BLUER than %&@#

Stan  #23 Laughing

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: TIB 1988 Reply with quote

Michael-Noche-88/00

Bob,

I normally check this site every few months.  Thanks for the heart-warming post on the '88 tour.  So many memories come to mind.  Since I met my wife, Traci on that tour, it forever changed my life.  We'll be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary in a few months.  I remember Eddie Lawson leaving his "fly" open during his act at WWTC '88.  I remember watching stateside staging while us overseas folks were waiting for our turn.  Since there were two casts, we also had the opportunity to watch "each other" during mid-tour.  It's surreal watching other people perform "your show."  That was an incredible experience which can no longer be duplicated.  Bob, thanks for all your contributions and keeping the spirit of TIB and the 1988 tour alive.

Mike Noche
TIB '88os/00

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: 25 and counting Reply with quote

theteddodd

OK in 83 we did have a 45 minute tear down.  But in 84,  We ha a 37 minute tear down at the Edwards venue and Percy Payed for breakfast for the entire cast....at the chow hall... Laughing Ted

Post Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl-Bullard-82-83-87Hope

CHEERS   TD...I yeild to your 37 minute teardown & Chow hall breakfast. Rolling Eyes

Blue Love bruh.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website   BOTTOM

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » TIB Priors Updates » 20 years ago
 Page 1 of 1