FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   Register 
TIB Community Portal
Click here for bulletin board instructions. 
 Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » TIB Priors Updates » TIB Greatest Hits
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:22 am 

Post Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: TIB Greatest Hits Reply with quote

Kellee-Ryan-95

I was just sitting around listening to my trusty iPod and thinking to myself that with all of us, we surely have all kinds of personal "Greatest Hits" lists of our favorite songs that people have sung/performed/etc at Worldwide or in a particular show or year.  The memories associated with these songs are always great too.  So if anyone else is game, I guess I'll start, although these are just my initial thoughts and in no particular order:

Takeesha Washington singing Donna Summer's "Last Dance" at Worldwide (2001?) because it's not only one of my favorite songs but because it was the only year they let us pyro contestants.  Girl, your song was SLAMMIN without the pyro, but since we put it in there...WHOO!

Does anyone recall Worldwide '93 when Marilyn (never knew her last name but she tried out more than once) was singing "And I Am Telling You - I'm Not Going" from Dreamgirls and she was doing the "...and YOU and YOU and YOU" part at the end so hard, she shook the weave right out of her head and it went flying into the fourth row of audience.

Bethany Schwartzkopf singing "Defying Gravity" from Wicked in total green face and pointy-hat witch outfit.  I wish there was a way we could have made you fly away on a broom at the end for real, that was the only thing missing.  

Worldwide '92 when some guy (Brad?) sang the best "Walking in Memphis" I've ever heard in my life accompanying himself on the piano and the same year someone sang "Minnie the Moocher" in a lime green zoot suit complete with hat, I think he won Best of Show?

TOP View user's profileSend private message   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: TIB Greatest Hits Reply with quote

Kahlil Ashanti

Hey Kelly,

Too funny!  I couldn't leave you hangin, had to jump in on this one.

'And I Am Telling You'-Marily Farrell Francis.  When that weave flew out of her hair I was petrified.  She was spitting too.  I was a contestant that year and wasn't sure if I was 'allowed' to laugh but as soon as I got back to lodging I busted a gut.  

I think the guy who sang Walkin in Memphis actually got selected to tour but couldn't get permission.  That was absolutely amazing. Or did Brad Reynolds do it as well?

Minnie the Moocher was Donnelle Chandler.  Man that was good. Zoot suit baby.

Somebody has footage of Chief tapdancing at the opening ceremonies.  Yes, that Chief.

How about the vocal groups?  Okay I need to quit.  Can't believe that was 14 years ago.  

I'm starting to sound like a prior with a gut and a tight blue TIB t-shirt.  That used to crack me up when we showed up at a base and you'd see a prior wearing his old faded see-thru TIB t-shirt from way back.  'Ya know, you're not TIB till you put on the ring. Your show isn't there yet. Our sets were made of wood...' (just shut up and pass the booze dawg)

Make It Happen

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libby-Castle-94

Oh my goodness...Marilyn, now that's my favorite memory...she wore that beautiful sequin dress that had the split in the middle and stood at the edge of the stage with her legs apart...I just knew the pit band was getting an extra show!!!  She was very sweet though!  

I also remember a certain PQ...working on Tivoli with her eyes crossed form lack of sleep!

I also remember the tap dancing...where is that footage??

Wow...memories...

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob-Morrow-88
Golden Roger
Golden Roger

At the '88 WWTC there was one act that was so hysterical the judges protested it and it had to be done again. I, as a tech, remember this one because it involved us lifting an upright piano up 5' high then across the top of the set (non-walkable steps at that end of the stage), then lowering it back down to the floor.  In darkness too. Don't make a noise either.  And, the piano was just a prop; it wasn't used.

Anyhow, the thing that caused all this was... a wardrobe malfunction. Two dancers on stage, one male, one female, both wearing white & black. It was either a tap dance routine or just plain dance, but anyhow, shortly into the act the female noticed that her partner's white shirt was, uhh, sticking out of the zipper of her partner's black pants. The shirt's flippin' & floppin' around with the beat. So, she starts dancing in front of him to kind of hide it, well the audience (@ Lackland, so it was mostly trainees) was dying and as it happened, so were the judges.  Glenn Ash was laughing so hard when he kicked the judges stand, part of it broke.

It turned out that the guy never knew until he walked off the stage. I was working stage right and I could see the silhouette of Jerry Kealler and this performer walking off stage left.  They both stop just off stage, Jerry turns to him & says something, and the guy looks down - pause - then throws his hands way up in the air!

Back then, they held public video reviews of the previous night's performances. Usually these were attended by only the contestant(s) in the act plus a command supervisor or two, and maybe a few others.  This one however, was standing room only. After the tape ended, he stood up & took a bow. What else could you do?

And yes, he was selected for the overseas tour.

Last edited by Bob-Morrow-88 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD-Dill

Anybody remember the female in 2001 who sang "Operator, get me Jesus on the line"?  She started out in a choir robe and all was good.  Then, stripped out of that and looked like Sandy at the end of Grease!!!  Thanks for starting this line Kellee, it does me good to laugh out loud!!!

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellee-Ryan-95

Bob, that was so funny!  I bet you guys were just rolling around and crying backstage.  Tommy Nollette used to call Worldwide the "Abs of Steel" show because we'd find so many things to crack up about, we'd be begging each other to shut up so we could quit laughing because it hurt so bad.  Jerry Kealler would constantly stumble across Mike Wilkinson, Tommy, Jenny Dunlap, and I curled up in little individual fetal positions on the floor laughing so hard tears were streaming down our faces and no sound coming out.  
I know this isn't a Worldwide moment, but Dave Jackson always tells the funniest story about Brad Reynolds singing "God Bless the USA" during their show finale (no idea where they were on the road at that point but it was on tour, not WW) and screwing up the lyrics in the first verse.  He actually started the song out by singing "If tomorrow all the things were gone I worked for all my life, and I had to start again with just my neighbor and his wife..."

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaKeesha-Washington-03

{{{and I had to start again with just my neighbor and his wife..."}}}

Kell-

I'm dying from laughing so hard!!!
We had our share of botched up lyrics on that song too, but I have NEVER heard that one.  How do you keep your composure after that one?

Ooh, it hurts!

BTW, thx 4 the shout out.  WW was soooo  much fun with pyro!!!

No matter what anybody says about you, no matter who you are, no matter where you come from or who you come from--you and you, alone, have the power to take the limits off of your faith and your life and off of God. -- TYLER PERRY

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website MSN Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob-Morrow-88
Golden Roger
Golden Roger

Hey Kellee, yes the techs had a hard time staying quiet.  It was hysterical!

And I still have that shirt that you designed the artwork for in '93, the last of the old-style worldwides.  It has Bill the Cat tangled in tivoli, bonked on the head by a lighting truss and other tech things. It says "Last of the Best".  Actually it said Best of the best with the first "best" struck out, but I can't do strikeout text here.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Greatest Hits Reply with quote

Naybu

Hey everybody.  I am long overdue for this, but the guy who sang "Walkin' In Memphis" (not sure about the vocal self-accompanied person) in '92 was Don McCollum.  We toured on USAFE Showcase together and that was the best song on our show.  WOW!  You guys are bringing back some great Worldwide memories ('89, '92 & '93 for me).  Uhmrah, regarding the tape of Chief tap dancing, you must speak with the Grand-Puba of them all, Mr. Jim Walker.  You may have to BEG to even see it.  I will bring a spare DVD-R with me so I can get a copy of WW '93, if he has '92, I may have to get that as well.  WHOA LAWD, those days at Tyndall were fun.  Minot was off da chain too!  Remember the Sheraton downtown??  We took over the whole town of Minot, y'all!  It was AMAZING.  Be blessed!  I'm out!

Naybu

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob-Morrow-88
Golden Roger
Golden Roger

Boo

Yes, I remember 89 WWTC at Minot. I think that was the year someone filled the jacuzzi @ the hotel with shampoo; the foam went everywhere...

I remember seeing a tape of the TIB 40th reunion show, held during the '93 WWTC at Eglin. It was the last WW I worked.  In Tom's tap dance routine the video is fine, the problem was the audio. Not slamming the audio troops; this one was an impromptu event so neither Chief nor the stage was miked and you could not hear the taps.  But I remember it well and Chief definitely was having a great time!

It was just a few minutes after that event that Bernie was awarded his Golden Roger.

I also remember the candle lighting ceremony that night. I don't know if this is still done, but in years past, Chief would say something about the program and then Col Reilly would light a candle, who would then take his candle and light Tom's, and this would spread to other tables. In a few minutes, everyone in the room would have a lit candle, and some priors would get on stage for a song about family.  Quite a night.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellee-Ryan-95

There was a time early in our tour (I didn't see this because I was on emergency leave for a couple of days for the death of my grandma) but anyway one of our female vocalists kicked the monitor off the front edge of the stage.  So now it's dangling by the cord since it was taped down pretty good so she's got her mike in one hand and trying her best to haul the monitor back up by the cord with the other hand...it kept slipping and bouncing around against the stage and she never did get it back up there, one of the stage guys had to come out and fix it between songs.  
Oh yeah, then there was the time in Korea that we screwed up and played the JAPANESE national anthem before the show.  D'oh!!

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » TIB Priors Updates » TIB Greatest Hits
 Page 1 of 1