FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   Register 
TIB Community Portal
Click here for bulletin board instructions. 
 Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » Joining TIB » Advice from the Best in Blue
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm 

Post Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Advice from the Best in Blue Reply with quote

ashley-montgomery

Hey everyone well here is my official announcement I am joining the Air National Guard and hopefully will (with the graciousness of my commander) be auditioning for TIB 2008. I cannot begin to explain the emotions I am going through I am so excited, nervous, and just any other emotion you can think of. Well I am trying to get prepared for Basic and then Worldwide and I thought to myself who better to get advice from than the Best. So any help you can provide not just about TIB but military life in general would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Ashley Montgomery

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: BMT Reply with quote

William-Middleswart

Ashley,

Good luck in basic training.  It's been a long time since I went to basic but here's my advice.  SHUT UP and do exactly what they say.  Be invisible but do very well.  I was so adept at staying inconspicuous that in the last week when my name came out on the list as being eligible for honor graduate my TI didn't even recognize my name.  He said "Middleswart, who the hell is that?  Stand up!"  

That's my advice.  Good luck!

--Bill

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry-Frey-06

Ashley, I'll be praying for you as you have done for me so many times this past year!  Feel free to give me a call anytime that you want to!  I totally agree with Bill and what he said about going through basic.  Just remember that it is all a mind game and that the TI's are totally trying to psych you out!  Dont' let them get to you!!!!  God Bless and I hope to see you at World Wide!

TOP   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD-Dill

Ashley, congrats on Basic!!!!  When are you going?  My oldest son Christopher will be there beginning 5 Jun 07.  Since I worked in BMT for 3 plus years I'd be glad to give you any advice I can.  email me direct at tibjd2000@cableone.net or james.dill@columbus.af.mil

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashley-montgomery

James I just got my offical date last weekend I leave 3 July I am so excited. There is no delayed entry into the gaurd so I am actually already doing drill weekends with my unit. I spoke to my commander about my dream of being Tops In Blue and he is very supportive of the whole idea. So I will be sending my tape in shortly after I return from basic and hope to be at worldwide this year as a contestant. You have no idea how exciting just the thought of compeating is. I would love to hear all of your words of wisdom on basic anything will help thank you all so much for your support. Larry I could always use a prayer thank you, and don't think just because you are off tour the prayers for you and yours have stopped. Hope all is well
Ashley

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Devils Advocate Reply with quote

Kellee-Ryan-95

Ashley -

Although I applaud your decision, I have to include a caveat.  I really hope that you aren't just joining the ANG because it is simply a pathway to Tops in Blue that was closed to you as a civilian.  Both the military and TIB are difficult in ways you cannot imagine unless you've been there and believe me, I have known more than one person in my time with Blue who said that TIB was the sole reason they joined the Air Force then they wound up waiting years to even audition because of unsupportive commanders and mission requirements.  A guy who was in staging with me the year I toured (95) said he had waited 8 years to make it to TIB... then he quit in staging.  
I don't doubt your intentions are good.  I just wonder about the promises made to bright new recruits to get them to sign then once you're stuck in a contract, life might not be as rosy as it was sold to you.  I guess all I'm saying is, I hope you're still happy with your decision to join even if you never get to tour.
Take care and congratulations on your enlistment and hopefully we'll see you at WWTC soon.  Smile

Kellee Ryan
The Wolverine of Love

TOP View user's profileSend private message   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashley-montgomery

Kellee
Thank you so much for the wisdom. I will admit a huge factor in me joining the guard is TIB but not the only factor. I do realize that I might never tour but if I hadn't joined I would never even get the chance to try. I love the program too much and have dreamed about this for too long not to try so I took the first step. I will be happy with my time spent in the guard even if I am never Tops in Blue but like I said it is my dream and I have to try or I will always think what if. But thank you for keeping it all in perspective.
Ashley

Post Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nolan- Wright

i remember you saying something about this. well congrats and good luck!! as far as basic. like they said its a mind game.... yea... enough on that lol well I wish you the best of luck and will keep u in prayer. take care

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo Messenger  BOTTOM

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » Joining TIB » Advice from the Best in Blue
 Page 1 of 1