FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   Register 
TIB Community Portal
Click here for bulletin board instructions. 
 Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » TIB Priors Updates » recording music
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:30 am 

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: recording music Reply with quote

Christian-Martinez-04

I got a question for anyone in Blue leand. I wanna start recording my music. I play all the instruments and I would like to know what's the best way to record it?

-Christian "Marty" Martinez
TIB '04

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian-Martinez-04

sorry I wasn't too specific.  I have a keyboard and a v-drum set which are midi-capable and I have a usb to midi converter for the computer. What's some good user friendly software I can use or should I go another route with this altogether?

-Chris

TOP View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: recording Reply with quote

John-Russell-02/03

qbasic is pretty good, but not user friendly in the MIDI aspect.  I know some folks that used a Freeware version that only had 8 tracks (two MIDI) that you can use to record, but it worked great.  If I remember that one, or find it again, i'll let you know

TOP View user's profileSend private message Yahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: oops Reply with quote

John-Russell-02/03

oops, i'm thinking one thing and typing another, I meant Cakewalk for recording not qbasic

TOP View user's profileSend private message Yahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie-montgomery-02/04

Chris

I've gotten great work done using the Cubase SX3 made by Steinberg.  It's very similar to Pro Tools.  I chose this program b/c a couple other engineers I work with use the same software and I can just email files back and forth with them.  In my studio I have a Tascam FW-1884 that interfaces between my computer and all of my outboard gear (mics, instruments, processors, etc).  It's not necessary to have an interface to use the software but you may be limited to how many pieces of equipment you can use at once.

I plug my keyboards into a couple of the input channels on the interface and also connect them via the MIDI ins and outs on the keyboard and interface.  I run a mic signal chain consisting of a mic into a preamp into a compressor then into an input channel on the interface.

Once again, you don't necessarily need to do all depending on what you're going for.

Cubase comes with a few plugins like reverb and such, but you can get some really good plugins for some extra bucks like the Auto Tune.  A great additions is the Waves Platinum Bundle that has plugins from mix down to Mastering Suites but it's a little expensive.

In order to get the sound from your instruments to the computer software you'll still have to send it through some sort of input.  MIDI won't do this.

Also, some great software to look into is Propellarhead's Reason.  It's a sound module of sorts.  you can run you keyboard into the computer via MIDI and get some great patches from the REASON software.

Hope this was some sort of help for you.

Jai

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website Yahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lee-alexander-05

If you have a Mac garage band is a great program.  I know several people using it with great results.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl-McEachin-92/03

There are tons of options out there, hardware and software, that will allow you to record your music...and most of them are very good!  The best way (in my opinion) to decide what you need would probably be to start with deciding what you want to do with your recordings.  If you just want to document your playing for your own listening pleasure, you could go one way.  If you want to create demo or commercial quality recordings, you could go another.  Will you always just record yourself, or will you ever need the capability to record other musicians?  Will you only record midi instruments or will you need to record acoustic instruments as well?  Does your system need to be portable?  All of these things (and more) should be considered before investing in a recording setup.  

Don't want to muddy the waters any more for you.  Just want you to be able to make a smarter decision about your purchases.  

(the other brotha) DarrylM

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodd-Martin-97

If you have anybody around that you know of using recording software, hit them up for some advice and to maybe take a spin using their software.  The interfaces will be different and you may prefer one over the other, but concentrate on actually getting the data/music into the computer and mixing it down.  You can also hit up some of the better music stores.  Tell them what you want to do and ask if they can set up one of their "demo" workstations so you can play around with it.  If they think they're going to make a sale, they may be willing to accommodate you.  I don't do any MIDI recording, so I can't help you much there.  Also, are you going to use the computer you have now for doing this, or are you going to buy a new one (Mac or PC?).  All questions you'll need answers to.  I use Linux and a program called Ardour to do most of my recording (although I have a LE version of ProTools, to practice on).  I'm not sure how it does for MIDI though.

That wasn't much help, but hopefully it'll give you something to chew on.

"Audio Dodd" Martin

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressMSN Messenger ICQ Number BOTTOM
Post Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Froeber WWTC06

I'm also using Cubase, and I agree, it's a great program.

If you'd like to hear some samples of recording quality, then check out www.myspace.com/drawthemoral

I'm using a Presonus Firepod as the interface for the computer.

Also, garage band is a great option as well.

I can give you more in depth info if you'll PM me.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » TIB Priors Updates » recording music
 Page 1 of 1