FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   Register 
TIB Community Portal
Click here for bulletin board instructions. 
 Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » WWTC Selects for TIB » Phone Discussion
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am 

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Phone Discussion Reply with quote

jose-gutierrez

I was wondering what kind of phone plans people were looking at and what advice people may have that they have found worked out for them.  I am also planning on getting a laptop and  have heard of people connecting to the internet through their cell phone but I have no knowledge whatsoever on how that works.  Someone mentioned tri-band phones but that sounds greek to me, so any input on this would be appreciated Smile

-Gut

TOP View user's profileSend private message   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie-montgomery-02/04

You have several options for all of this.

Many of the cell phone companies today offer phones that also cover Europe.  You can take your phone to Europe and make calls as if you were in the U.S. for an additional $0.07 to $0.10 per minute with most cell phone companies.  Just make sure the company offers a plan like that and also that your getting a global or tri-band telephone.

As for the internet...

Most cell phone companies will also give you a cable for free or a small charge to run from your cell phone into your USB port.  Keep in mind that each minute your online is equivalent to talking on the phone for a minute.  Also, the connection speed is usually slow.  However, most cell phone companies sell cards that slide into your laptop for about $150 to $250 and will allow you to use the internet almost anywhere in the U.S. for about $30 per month or so.  This is great for long days on the bus.

Hope this info helped.

jai
2002/2004

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website Yahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jose-gutierrez

Thanks for the info, it definitely helps.  Are there any companies that you recommend?  Any that offer both an Internet and European plan?  Thanks!

TOP View user's profileSend private message   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamie-montgomery-02/04

I've never used this company, but T-Mobile has a great coverage area and low-rate plans.  They also offer unlimited calls to your five most called numbers for an additional $10 a month.

Also, they have a network card for your laptop for $150 which will allow wireless, high-speed internet service on the same coverage area as your phone.

They may also offer a discounted rate for military.

TOP View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's website Yahoo MessengerMSN Messenger  BOTTOM
Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: phones Reply with quote

april vollm

Cingular also offers some international plans along with the laptop card.  Last time I checked, they were offering a mail-in rebate on the card, so in the end it would end up costing you $100 plus activation fees.

April

TOP View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website   BOTTOM
Post Posted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby-Washington-Jr-05

One more tip: For T-mobile tri-/quad-band users, your phone comes with the International feature. You just have to call them and have them activate it, prior to using it.  As a SidekickII user, I was able to call from several overseas locations while on tour.

Of course, you will notice carriers vary from country to country,  pending on the signal strength.

..."Its All Relative....But, It's Not Negative".....

TOP View user's profileSend private message Yahoo Messenger  BOTTOM

TIB Community Portal Forum Index » WWTC Selects for TIB » Phone Discussion
 Page 1 of 1